I know what you’re thinking- “Loo ko what now?”. Loukoumades. Loo-cow-mod-es. Try saying it. I’ll wait.
Did that? Good. Now you must be thinking “What the heck are ‘Loukoumades’ or however you say it?!” When it comes down to it, Loukoumades are basically little fried donut holes. But really- they’re so much more then that. Made with just five ingredients these tiny delicacies are a staple in my family. They are a bit time consuming but they’re worth every second. Despite taking awhile, these fried balls of dough are really simple to make.
After you’ve fried them you can top them with whatever you want. Powdered sugar? Yep. Chocolate glaze? Yep. Maple Syrup? Yep. Cinnamon? Yep. Whatever you want. Loukoumades are traditionally topped with honey but I’m not a huge honey fan. I normally dust mine with a little bit of powdered sugar and call it a day, but it’s really up to you. Sometimes, when I’m feeling lazy I don’t even top them! I just eat them straight up, because honestly, yum.
This recipe was past down from generation to generation in my family and I thought that it was finally time that I shared it with all of you. Get ready, because these treats are not something that you’re going to want to miss.
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup yogurt
- 1 and 3/4 to 2 cups flour
- Preheat the oven to 150 degrees
- Place a medium pot filled to the top with oil over heat. Attach a thermometer to the side and heat the pot until the thermometer reads “350 degrees”.
- Mix all of the ingredients together in a large bowl. The batter should be very thick.
- Once the oil reaches 350 drop a few 1/2 teaspoon of the batter into the oil. Cook each ball of batter until it is brown and then flip it over to the other side until it is brown again.
- Remove the loukoumades from the oil and place in a bowl/plate lined with a paper towel. Place the bowl/plate in the oven to keep warm while the rest of the loukoumades cook.
- Repeat the process with the rest of the batter until you are all out of batter.
- Top with whatever topping you want and enjoy!