If you didn’t know already, I’m a pretty impatient person when it comes to certain things. Sure, I have no problem waiting three hours for bread to rise or laboring away for another six just for a single croissant, but when it comes to things that are supposed to be relatively quick I grow impatient fast. Take cookie dough, for example. I hate waiting for it to chill. If I have a sudden craving for cookies I want to eat my cookie right then and there, not in two to three hours! Most of the time, it’s not that bad and there are shortcuts available (with cookie dough I almost always cut the time in 1/3 and stick it in the freezer instead), but when things that are supposed to be quick take extra long I grow angry.
That’s where today’s recipe comes in. I love scones. They’re arguably my favorite baked good. But they’re tedious to make. All that grating of butter is just so annoying. I swear, the butter grating always takes me longer then anything else when I make scones and I’ve had it with grating butter. That’s why I decided today when my scone craving hit (because yum) that I had had enough of grating butter. I tossed the butter in a food processor and prayed for the best and now that I’ve tried it, I’m never going back! It’s amazing how well it works and it makes me wonder what else I’ve wasted time doing!
These scones are incredibly simple and take about half an hour to make so you’ll be munching away on a scone before you know it. I don’t think that there’s anything more spring then lemon, so I thought that that would be the perfect flavor to celebrate the new season. Paired with blackberries these scones are quiet the crowd pleaser, I know that I’ll be going back for seconds!
Lemon Blackberry Scones
- 1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup white whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup cold butter
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 cup blackberries sliced in half
- Coarse sugar (optional)
- FOR THE GLAZE:
- 1 1/4 heaping cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon water
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Place a baking sheet with parchment paper aside for later.
- Process the butter in a food processor until no large chunks remain.
- Add the flours, baking powder, sugar, and salt and pulse until combine. The mixture should look a bit dryer then wet sand.
- Add the egg, milk, vanilla, lemon zest, and lemon juice and combine until it forms a ball.
- Dump the dough on to the parchment paper and kneed in the blackberries, it might be a bit messy but this is the most effective way to do this.
- Pat into a circle that is 7 inches in diameter and cut into eighths. Place each scone about two inches apart. Before baking I like to squeeze just a little bit of lemon juice on top and sprinkle a pinch of coarse sugar on each.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Allow to cool for 5 minutes.
- While they are cooling make the glaze by combing all the ingredients in a small bowl. Drizzle on top of the scones and enjoy!