Lemon seems to be the go to summer flavor. I feel like there’s just something about the bright yellow citrus that just channels the warmth and sunshine that those seasons bring, so whenever I want it to be warm I like to include a little bit of the sunshine-y fruit in my baking.
Today I was feeling like summer wasn’t going to be coming anytime soon so I snatched up a lemon from my fridge and set to work. These muffins are super fluffy and taste like what I would imagine summer to taste like. The raspberries perfectly accent the lemon glaze and add beautiful speckles of red throughout the muffin.
Since it’s Mother’s Day this weekend, I thought I would make something that’s portable so that you can bring it with you to that Mother’s Day picnic or when you’re visiting your mom at her house. Muffins are also the perfect on the go breakfast. Whip up a batch the night before and then grab one on your way out the door. Maybe you’ve got a long drive ahead of you, these muffins have got you covered. There really are no flaws to the logic, and they taste pretty dang delicious if I do say so myself.
As with a lot of my recipes recently, these are 100% vegan, but you definitely don’t have to be vegan to make them. I’m going to go out on a limb here and say that these muffins taste better then a non-vegan version would. Yep, I said it. The coconut oil used in place of a butter type substance adds a certain texture that I just don’t think you can get without it. If you don’t believe me, make these muffins and see for yourself!
Raspberry Lemon Glaze Muffins
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- a pinch salt
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 flaxeggs (2 tablespoon flaxseed mixed with 6 tablespoon water)
- 1/3 cup almond milk
- 1/2 cup raspberries
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 lemon’s worth of lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a cupcake tin with 5 cupcake liners or spray it with nonstick cooking spray
- Beat the coconut oil and sugar together in either a stand mixer or with a electric hand mixer until combined. Add the flaxeggs.
- Stir in the flour, baking powder, and salt. The mixture will look a little bit like wet sand.
- Add the milk and raspberries and mix until a batter forms.
- Divide the muffin batter evenly among the five liners and then bake for 20 minutes until slightly golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean when inserted. Allow to cool before glazing.
- While the muffins are cooling combine the powder sugar and lemon juice together in a small bowl. If the glaze seems too runny add more powdered sugar. If it seems to not be coming together very well add a couple drops of water.
- Glaze your muffins and enjoy!